Skip to main content

Children Solicitors

children solicitorsDo you need advice or assistance from experienced and accredited children solicitors?

Relationship breakdowns can be especially challenging when children are involved.  However, it is important during this emotional time to ensure that the needs of any children are carefully dealt with.

During divorce and separation, a comprehensive agreement on the care of children will deal with:

  • Where the children should live and with whom (residence)
  • The arrangements for contact (access) between the children and the parent with whom they do not live
  • Responsibility for maintenance (child support)

At Elite Law, our goal is to help facilitate agreement between parents on all of these issues – whether our job is the protection of fathers’ rights or the safeguarding of the mothers’ interests.  If agreement is impossible, we will seek a formal Court order.

Our family law team represent clients based all over the UK.

If you would like to discuss your circumstances with an experienced family lawyer please call us on 0800 086 2929, email or complete our Free Online Enquiry Form to arrange an initial consultation.

How Our Children Solicitors Can Help With Child Arrangements

When two parents no longer cohabit, or if they have never lived together, it is important that there is an agreement on where their child or children will live, and how often the non-resident parent will have access to them.

Contact between a child and an adult can come in many different forms including:

  • Direct face to face contact
  • Indirect contact (letter writing or sending cards)
  • Supervised contact (this can be at a contact centre)
  • Overnight contact
  • Contact via electronic means (Skype, WhatsApp, Facetime and email)

It is often difficult to come to an arrangement that satisfies both parents, especially when this involves parents having extended periods of time without contact with their children.

If you are struggling to come to a suitable arrangement regarding your child, the first step is to try mediation. We can advise on this process, letting you know what to expect and helping prepare you for your Mediation Information Assessment Meeting (MIAM). If mediation is not suitable for you, it may be appropriate to seek a Child Arrangement Order at Court. The Child Arrangement Order will regulate the contact arrangements for the child.

These orders determine when and for how long a child resides with each parent, taking into account the child’s wishes, welfare, and their emotional and educational needs, as well as the suitability of each parent for meeting those needs. Should you be considering this option, it is important to seek advice from qualified and accredited children solicitors to ensure you are fully aware of your rights and legal options.

Specific Issue Orders

Specific Issue Orders are another type of order that can be sought from Court, to resolve a specific question or scenario.  A Specific Issue Order can address sensitive topics like whether a child should have a religious or non-religious education, whether they should have a particular medical treatment, or whether they should change their name.

Prohibited Steps Order

Similar to a Specific Issue Order, a Prohibited Steps Order prevents a parent from taking an action that the Court deems to be detrimental to the child’s welfare.  This can range from taking the child to live permanently abroad to preventing an individual from having contact with the child.

Special Guardianship Orders

A Special Guardianship Order is put in place when a child cannot live with their birth parents. It appoints an individual as a “special guardian” to the child, conferring parental responsibility on them and giving them many rights to make decisions on the child’s behalf while giving the child security and stability.

Parental Responsibility

Parents and special guardians have what is called “parental responsibility” – the right to decide certain decisions on behalf of a child.  When more than one person has parental responsibility for a child (for example, their two parents), these individuals must agree on the decisions made for that child.  Decisions can include where a child lives, how they are educated and whether they can leave the country.  If the parents cannot agree and mediation does not work, these decisions can ultimately be decided by the Court.

Talk To Our Children Solicitors

If you require legal advice or assistance in relation to any of the areas mentioned above, we will be happy to assist you.  We have a wealth of knowledge and expertise and can provide you bespoke legal advice tailored to your specific circumstances.

One of our experienced children solicitors will have an initial consultation with you to discuss your situation in more detail. Once we understand your circumstances better, we can provide you with a clearer understanding of how we can help you.  We will also provide you with a price quotation and a choice of funding methods at the outset.

Make A Free Enquiry

Call 0800 086 2929, email or complete our Free Online Enquiry Form to arrange an initial consultation and let our accredited children law specialist explain your legal rights and options.

Icon made by Creaticca Creative Agency from

Make a Free Enquiry

Call us 24/7 on 0800 086 2929
or complete our Free Enquiry
Form below

    dissolution of a civil partnership

    Victoria Clarke

    Partner and Head of Department
    Family Law and Divorce

    “Victoria was knowledgeable and approachable; I felt comfortable speaking honestly and openly. The whole team at Elite Law were lovely to deal with and I felt as though my son’s and my best interests were at the heart of all the work done for us.”

    Read More